Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Volunteer Services Team
The purpose of our Volunteer Services Team is to provide humanitarian and charitable services, which enhance the patient and family experience with our hospital. It is important to understand the role of a volunteer in a for-profit organization, which is to support but not supplant the work of our employees.
The hospital’s volunteers are a vital, dynamic group which devotes their time to perform services that are “extras” designed to help patients and their families and which would not otherwise be provided by the hospital.
Examples of volunteer duties are:
- Providing community information to out of town visitors, families, or patients.
- Reading to patients and helping write letters/send emails.
- Delivering mail, newspapers, and magazines to patients.
- Guiding school groups and visitors on tours of the facility.
- Staffing an information booth and helping visitors find the rooms of patients or locations of other services.
- Promoting hospital activities in the communities; supporting the organization if manning a booth or information center during community events.
- Keeping lobbies stocked with reading material and keeping children’s play areas organized and safe.
- Providing companionship to visitors and families in waiting rooms and getting coffee, snacks, or other items that make the wait more comfortable.
- Assisting patients with locating phone chargers or other ancillary items.
- Pet Therapy.
What is the minimum age to volunteer?
Volunteers must be at least 16 years of age.
When can I volunteer?
Volunteers will be assigned a scheduled volunteer day(s) and times(s). Volunteers are permitted to volunteer at
Harris Regional Hospital and Swain Community Hospital between the hours of 8:00 am and 6:00 pm.
What do our volunteers receive?
Volunteers receive 15% off in the gift shop (some exclusions apply) must show ID badge, free flu shots, Free lunch after every 4 volunteer hours.
Please email Krysta Cooper at Krysta.Cooper@medwesthealth.org for additional informaiton.