Coronavirus (COVID-19) Preparedness Information Learn More
Harris Pulmonary & Sleep Center
186 Medical Park Loop, Suite 503
Sylva, NC 28779
Swain Community HospitalOutpatient Corridor
45 Plateau St.
Bryson City, NC 28713
A physician referral is required for a sleep study.
Harris Medical Park in Franklin
55 Holly Springs Park Drive
Franklin, NC 28734
In addition to the sleep lab at Swain Community Hospital, Harris Regional Hospital has installed new technology for sleep studies occurring in Sylva at Harris Pulmonary and Sleep Center with four beds, and in Franklin at Harris Regional Hospital Medical Park of Franklin with two beds. Sleep studies are performed at all locations four nights per week.
Nearly 70 million people experience sleep disorders, according to a study by the Institute of Medicine.
Lack of sleep affects the ability to concentrate, accomplish tasks, and manage minor irritations, and can impact memory and reasoning. Lack of sleep can be very dangerous and contributes to an estimated 100,000 automobile accidents each year.
Patient Forms & Questionnaires
Click on the following links to access printable patient forms and questionnaires.
Harris Regional Hospital and Swain Comunity Hospital's Sleep Lab specializes in diagnosis and treatment of sleep-related complications for men, women, and children. Our team is able to address the causes of sleep issues and provide a variety of treatment options to patients in order to help achieve healthier sleep.
- Disrupted sleep or work habits, often caused by shift work or travel
- Insomnia, characterized by the inability to fall asleep, often as the result of diet, stress, emotional difficulties, or underlying health problems
- Narcolepsy and excessive daytime sleepiness, characterized by suddenly and unexpectedly falling asleep
- Nightmares and night tremors
- Obstructive sleep apnea, resulting in interrupted breathing and loud snoring, and can be caused by narrow nasal passages, large tonsils, alcohol or tobacco use, or weight gain
- Oxygenation problems
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorders (PLMD), noted for involuntary jerky movements in arms or legs
- Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), characterized by tingly or prickly sensations that make individuals want to move
- Sleep apnea occurs when breathing is interrupted during sleep due to mechanical problems in the windpipe
- Walking/Talking during sleep
During a sleep study, a patient will undergo diagnostic testing occurring during the patient’s natural sleep pattern. A physician trained in the diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders reads the study and recommends treatment.
Click here for additional information
- Pain Management
- Cancer Care
- Cardiovascular Services
- Care Management
- Community Paramedic Program
- Emergency Services
- General Surgery
- Harris Home Health
- Harris Palliative Care and Hospice
- New Generations Family Birthing Center
- Neck and Spine Services
- Primary Care
- Rehabilitation Services
- Sleep Medicine
- Sports Medicine
- Urgent Care
- Women's Care
- Wound Care