John Buenting, MD
A native of California, Dr. John E. Buenting received both his Masters Degree in Public Health and Medical Degree from Tulane University in 1991. He completed his Otolaryngology Surgery residency at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1996 and remained as a faculty member at UNC, rising to the rank of Clinical Associate Professor. In 2003 Dr. Buenting joined Dr. Douglas in practice at Mountain ENT, bringing with him a strong clinical background as well as his fun-loving sense of humor and attentive bedside manner. Dr. Buenting’s ability to speak medical Spanish has proven an asset for our practice in serving many members of the surrounding counties. As a general Otolaryngologist, Dr. Buenting enjoys serving both the adult and pediatric community, and has a strong interest in treating sinus problems and allergies.
Dr. Buenting is board certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, where he continues to teach courses for other ENT physicians each year at the annual meeting. Dr. Buenting's many peer-reviewed articles have appeared in, among other publications, the American Journal of Rhinology; Journal of Applied Physiology; and the Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology. Dr. Buenting is also a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, the American Rhinologic Society, the North Carolina Society of Otolaryngology and the North Carolina Medical Society.
UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA: BS IN BIOLOGY
TULANE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE: MPH
TULANE SCHOOL OF MEDICINE: MD
AMERICAN BOARD OF OTOLARYNGOLGOY/HEAD AND NECK SURGERY
Also available to see patients in Franklin,
166 Holly Springs Park Drive Franklin, NC 28734.
Privileges at Harris Regional Hospital
Residencies & Internships
UNC HOSPITALS-GENERAL SURGERY
UNC HOSPITALS- RESIDENCY IN OTOLARYNGOLOGY/HEAD AND NECK SURGERY
CLINCIAL ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR OF SURGERY, UNC SCHOOL OF MEDICINE: 1996-2003
- Buenting JE, Dalston RD, Smith TL, Drake AF. Artifacts associated with the acoustic rhinometric reassessment of infants and young children: A model study J of Applied Physiology 1994;77(6):2558-63.
- Buenting JE, Dalston RD, Smith TL, Drake AF. The acoustic assessment of nasal area in infants. American J of Rhinol 1994;8(6):305-10.
- Buenting JE, Dalston RD, Smith TL, Drake AF. Nasal cavity area in term infants determined by acoustic rhinometry. Laryngoscope 1994;104(12):1439-45. Postma GN, Buenting JE, Jones KR. Oropharyngeal perforation after traumatic intubations. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery 1995;113(3):290-2.
- Smith TL, Buenting JE, Prazma J. Diabetic microangiopathy in the rat cochlea. Laryngoscope 1995; 105:236-40.
- Smith TL, Buenting JE, Holmes D. Herpes esophagitis. Three pages. In press, Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery (submitted 11/95). Buenting JE, Smith TL, Holmes D. Giant pleomorphic adenoma of the parotid gland. Ear, Nose Throat J 1998;77(8)634-40.
- Buenting JE, Copeland B, White D. Coccidioidomycosis of the Head and Neck. Annals of Otology, Rhinology & Laryngology 2002. Contributions to Textbooks
- Witsell DL, Buenting JE, Drake AF. Airway abnormalities in craniofacial syndromes, In: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America 1995;7(2):337-43.
- Pillsbury HC, Buenting JE, Microsuspension laryngoscope and laser excision of t-1 vocal cord carcinomas, In: Bailey BJ, et al (eds): Atlas of Head Neck Surgery – Otolaryngology. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven Publishers, 1996:782-4.
- Computer Applications in Otolaryngology, including networking, databases, and image processing and Internet Applications, 1992-2002.
- Application of Acoustic Rhinometry to the pediatric Population, 1992-1993.
- Developed new protocols in neuroendocrine peptide autoradiography, 1985-1986.
Prestigious Honor Award bestowed by the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) for service on Academy committees including the Technology Infrastructure Committee, the Medical informatics Committee, and the Internet Working Group. Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS), September 2004, New York, New York.
- Award for Excellence in Resident Publication, Rhinology 1995
- Second Place Award for Resident Research, American Rhinology Society 1993 Annual Meeting Outstanding ENT Resident, Wake AHEC, 1993
- AOA Elected Junior Year – Vice President 1991 James W. McLaurin Otolaryngology Award, 1991
- AOA Award for Academic Excellence Scholarship, 1989 Dean’s Merit Scholarship, 1987-1991
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Summa Cum Laude
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery
- American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy
- American Rhinologic Society
- The Laryngologic, Otologic, Rhinologic Society, aka The Triological Society
- NC Society of Otolaryngology
- The Newton D. Fischer Society
- Nathan A. Womack Surgical Society
- Member, Computer Steering Committee, Dept. of Surgery, UNC Hospitals, 1995-1998 Co-Chair, World Wide Web Subcommittee, Dept. of Surgery, UNC Hospitals, 1995-1996
- Member, AAO-HNS Internet Working Group, 1995-1996
- Member, AAO-HNS Medical Informatics Committee, 1998-2001
- Member, AAO-HNS Technology Infrastructure Committee, 1999-2003
- Member, Smoky Mountain IPA Board, 2004 – 2008
- Member, Westcare Hospital Board of Trustees 2011 - present
Conversant in medical Spanish