Anthony Allan McPherron, DO
Orthopaedics/Orthopaedic Surgery, Sports Medicine
Dr. McPherron practices alongside Lawrence Supik, MD, Ryan Slechta, MD, Douglas Gates, MD, Jud Handley, MD, Robin Pope, PA-C, and Alexis Willey, PA-C, at Harris Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine which is located on the second floor of Harris Regional Hospital.
Most recently, Dr. McPherron practiced at Southwest Virginia Orthopedic and Spine in Blacksburg, Va., where he served as an orthopaedic surgeon for Virginia Tech University Athletics, New York Yankees Minor League Baseball (MiLB) Pulaski affiliate, and Bluefield College Athletics. Dr. McPherron serves as a consultant for the New Orleans Saints National Football League (NFL) training camp.
Prior to working in Virginia, Dr. McPherron practiced for 13 years at Specialty Orthopedics, Inc. in Plymouth, Ind., where he founded the Indiana Center for Adult Reconstruction. During his time in Indiana, Dr. McPherron held a number of medical executive appointments with regional hospitals and participated in various research and orthopaedic equipment patent projects. He is also a three-time recipient of the ‘Best Bedside Manner Award’ in orthopedics from Our Health magazine, a Virginia-based publication
In addition to seeing patients with orthopaedic needs, Dr. McPherron participates in the hospital’s longstanding sports medicine program at Western Carolina University and in the 10 area high schools served with athletic training and game coverage. Harris Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine also has a clinic at Harris Regional Hospital Medical Park of Franklin.
- 2014 – present - Swineburn University- Online Program - Masters of Science in Astronomy (In Progress)
- 2004-2006- Purdue University - West Lafayette, Indiana - Masters of Business Administration
- 1990-1994 - Ohio University - Athens, Ohio - Doctor of Osteopathy
- 1986-1990 - Indiana State University - Terre Haute, Indiana - Bachelor of Science Athletic Training/Sports Studies, Minor in Chemistry
Board Certified – Orthopedic Surgery AOBOS 2004; Recertified 2015
Certified Athletic Trainer, NATA 1990-1996
Donjoy Grant - ACL brace study at Virginia Tech University (Co-investigator) 2016
Best Bedside Manner Award (Orthopedics) – Our Health Magazine 2013,2014,2015
US Patent US9089377 B2 for bone screw 2013
America’s Top Orthopedists – Consumer’s Research Council of America 2007
Distinguished Alumni Award – Indiana State University College of Health and Human Performance 2005
Resident Educator of the Year – Ohio University 1999
Outstanding Clinical Student – Ohio University 1994
1994-1995 - St. Vincent/Mercy Medical Center Toledo, Ohio - Traditional Rotating Internship
1995-1999 - St. Vincent/Mercy Medical Center Toledo, Ohio - Residency – Orthopedic Surgery; Chief Resident 1998-1999
Resident Educator of the Year 1999
2000 - Tampa General Hospital - Tampa, Florida - Fellowship – Adult Reconstructive Surgery
- Johansen RL, Bernasek T, Gustke K, McPherron AA, Shimizu, K; “Total Knee Replacement for Posttraumatic Degenerative Arthritis of the Knee.” 68th Annual Meeting Proceedings, Poster # 441, AAOS, 2001.
- McPherron AA, Bernasek T; “Regional Hypotension for Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty.” Poster #36, AAHKS, November 2001.
- McPherron AA, Gustke K; “Natural Knee II All Polyethylene Tibial Components: A long term survivorship analysis.” FOI Fellows paper program, 2000.
- Nadaud M, Snyder M, Brown D, McPherron A,; “New Trends and Early Clinical Outcomes with a Modern Knee Revision System.” Orthopedics 30(8-supplement) 97-101, 2007.
- Donjoy Grant - ACL brace study at Virginia Tech University (Co-investigator) 2016
- Best Bedside Manner Award (Orthopedics) – Our Health Magazine 2013,2014,2015
- US Patent US9089377 B2 for bone screw 2013
- America’s Top Orthopedists – Consumer’s Research Council of America 2007
- Distinguished Alumni Award – Indiana State University College of Health and Human Performance 2005
- Resident Educator of the Year – Ohio University 1999
- Outstanding Clinical Student – Ohio University 1994
American Osteopathic Association 1990 - present
American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics 1995 – present
Chairman, Adult Reconstruction Fellowship Standards Committee
Member, Allied Health Committee, 2007-2009
Member, Liason to U.S. Bone and Joint Decade, 2007-2009
Member of Sports Medicine CAQ examination committee 2014-present
Member of CME committee, 2013-present
Adult Reconstruction Section, 2002- present
Secretary ARAS 2007-2008
Sports Medicine Section 2008-present
American Osteopathic Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Examination Writing Committee 2005 – 2007
Indiana Osteopathic Association 2000 – present
Member, Convention committee, 2007-2008
National Athletic Trainers Association 1986 – 1994